Friday, October 30, 2009

Today was my Hysterosonogram

Today I had my Hysterosonogram. Basically, a doctor injects a saline solution into your uterus to enlarge it so they can see if there are any fibroids or cysts and to make sure everything looks normal. So, during my lunch break, i took a ride over to the Center for Human Reproduction to have the procedure done. Apparently, I cannot have Dr. Hershlag do every procedure i need. I guess whoever is there when i make my appointment is the doctor who will be performing the procedure. Today I had Dr. Chu. She was a young woman, who literally came into the room, grabbed a speculum, pushed the saline into my uterus, gave me an internal sonogram, and left the room. Her bedside manner was deplorable.

First, she didn't tell me what she was doing. She didn't say, "you might feel some discomfort now" or "now i will inject the saline".....NOTHING. She just DID what she needed to do and it was extremely uncomfortable. You really are in a vulnerable position when you're lying on a table and you're getting poked and prodded by people you don't know. It's upsetting enough to have to go through all of these doctor's appointments without having a doctor who has zero personality. Needless to say, she will not be doing any more of my procedures. But, thankfully, everything was normal.

I then met with an IVF nurse named Jasmine who was fantastic. We talked a lot about the IVF procedure, and she scheduled me to have a "test" trial transfer with Dr. Hershlag for Nov. 9. Here, Dr. Hershlag will go through an entire transfer procedure, obviously without transferring anything, to make sure that when it comes time to do the real transfer, there won't be any problems. When i go for this procedure, I am going to ask Dr. Hershlag a bunch of questions about my upcoming cycle.

Jasmine did answer a few questions for me though. She told me that as long as the Probe is complete by the end of December, I can start my IVF cycle in January. I can also request Dr. Hershlag to be the doctor who does my real transfer, which makes me feel a lot better. Although, I am not sure if i want him to do the egg retrieval or the transfer. Whichever one is the most important is the one i want him doing. Does anyone have an opinion on this??

The nurse also told me that even though my FSH levels are a little high, she said the biggest thing working in my favor is the fact that i am young. She said she had women my age with an FSH of 16 who got pregnant with twins. Also, she looked at my file and told me that my estrogen levels were normal which makes a big difference. Maybe, the high FSH level was a fluke?! Either way, she definitely made me feel better about my chance of getting pregnant on the first try!!

So all in all today was a good day - Sonogram showed that everything was normal, thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment