Monday, November 9, 2009

Trial of Transfer today - the good, the bad, the annoying ...

After work i headed over to The Center for Human Reproduction to have my "Trial of Transfer". Here, Dr. Hershlag pretty much got a "practice round" before my real transfer of embryos which will take place in a couple months. This procedure consists of a pelvic examination and placement of a tiny catheter inside the uterus to determine the direction and length of the uterine cavity prior to the IVF cycle. This procedure is meant to minimize trauma to the uterine lining during my actual IVF cycle.

Dr. Hershlag started the procedure, however, he couldn't finish it because he couldn't get the catheter through my cervix. Unfortunately, i need to go back next Monday and have ANOTHER trial to make sure he can finish the trial and get the measurements he needs. Next time, Dr. Hershlag wants me to have a full bladder before I do the trial - he thinks that might help the procedure. He said that sometimes they have to do the real transfer while under anesthesia in order to dilate the cervix, if it needs it. Hopefully i don't need anesthesia because i would like to be awake for the real procedure.

Dr. Hershlag also did an internal sonogram. He looked at my ovaries to see how many follicles i had this month. He said that looking at the number of follicles could be a good indication on how they will stimulate when i start the medications. He saw about 6 follicles in each ovary, which is only OK. Ideally, I would like to have ten on each ovary. Having 6 on each means i could probably get 12 eggs at my retrieval, which is only OK. I am hoping for more!! The only thing that made me nervous was that this was the first time that Dr. Hershlag seemed a little concerned about my high FSH level. He seemed to think that the reason i had a few follicles per ovary was because my FSH is high. He said that i can expect to make a good number of eggs when i start the medications, just not a lot of eggs. This REALLY worried me because i need a ton of eggs for the PGD procedure since i lose a good number of embryos to the disease.

I just want the day to come where i can start this whole cycle. I am so nervous about all of this - i just want everything to go smoothly and i just want to be pregnant this February. I am nervous i won't be able to get pregnant. I am nervous that even if i can have one child, that since my FSH is high, i won't be able to have any more (since FSH gets higher with age). I need to just relax and not worry about all this stuff and take things as they come - that's just easier said than done.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment