Friday, February 19, 2010

Oh what a day! Blood work and sono #4

Today was ... interesting to say the least! Justin and I went to my appointment this morning for blood work and sono. I have blood, and had a sono with Dr. Scholl. He is another doctor who works in the practice with Dr. Hershlag and he really is great! He said my eggs looked great, and there still were a bunch of them. He measured the eggs and the largest one was 17mm which is good because mature eggs are 18mm and up. He told me that I would most likely have my egg retrieval on MOnday, 2/22/10, and I would trigger tomorrow night.

I finally got a call from the doctor's office around 2:15pm today to give me my instructions as to how much medication I should take tonight. Much to my surprise, they told me I had to come in right away for more blood work because my Estrogen levels from this morning dropped drastically and that didn't make any sense to them. So, I dropped everything at work and ran back to the office. When I got there, I gave more blood, and they told me that my Estrogen level was 600! I waited there to meet with Dr. Scholl and he told me that in his 30 years of practice, he has never seen an estrogen level drop that much in one day and that it had to be wrong. He also told me that there was a woman who came in right after me to have blood work done and her estrogen levels should have been at 300, and they came back at 2,800! So, he thinks the phlebotomist mixed up the vials of blood! Needless to say I wasn't too happy about this. I left the office and waited for them to call me back with my new results.

Around 5:00pm, I got a call from the doctor's office and they told me I shouldn't take ANY shots tonight because my Estrogen was 4,148!!! This is very high, especially considering that my egg retrieval isn't until Monday. I have another appointment tomorrow morning for more blood work and sono to make sure everything is good to go by Monday.

The problem with having a high Estrogen level is that it can lead to Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome which can be very dangerous. It usually happens after an egg retrieval, where fluid builds up in your abdomen and at it's worst, your lungs. That is what happens with a severe case. Mild cases cause serious bloating and nausea. The problem can be that if I have OHSS after my egg retrieval, and it's bad enough, they would freeze my embryos and put off the transfer for one month to make sure everything calmed down. If I go in tomorrow and my estrogen is too high and my doctor's don't want me to trigger (take an HCG shot to prepare the eggs for retrieval), then they might cancel the cycle!

I am totally freaking out and am so nervous. Please everyone pray that I don't overstim and that everything goes according to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment